Skip to main content

The Electrician

who keeps his


“Ian markets himself as the electrician who keeps appointments and it’s true. Not only that but he takes the trouble to get to know his customers and then goes the extra mile to give them a bespoke solution that solves their particular need. John Parker

Frequently asked questions

Q. Sometimes when a light bulb fails, the circuit breaker for the lights trips. Is this a fault?

A. As a light bulb fails there is a surge of current, this can be sufficient to trip the circuit breaker. This is not a fault just the circuit breaker responding to the current surge.

Q. The several circuits have failed at the same time and the main switch at the Consumer Unit
    (Fuse box) has tripped. Why has this happened?

A. The main switch has a RCD (Residual Current Device). This is a safety device that detects earth faults on the installation. RCDs have a button marker ‘T’ in addition to the switch, main switches do not.

Q. The RCD on the Consumer Unit (Fuse box) has tripped and it will not reset.

A. First check that the RCD is switched off. Some makes of RCD go to an intermediate ‘Tripped’ position. Then try to switch it back on.
If it still will not switch on, switch off all the circuit breakers that are controlled by the RCD. Then try to switch on.
Then switch each of the circuit breakers back on. If switching a particular circuit breaker on causes the RCD to trip, the fault is on that circuit.
To find the fault, switch off  the sockets or unplug all the appliances on that circuit. Then switch the circuit breaker on.
Switch on or plug in the appliances one at a time until the RCD trips. This is the appliance that is faulty. Have it checked and repaired by a competent person.

Q. What is meant by Part ‘P’?

A. The Building Regulations have a number of sections or parts. Part ‘P’ covers the electrical installations in domestic premises. These regulations require that all significant changes to the electrical installation are notified to the local Building Inspector. Significant changes are defined as work that meets any of the following:
a) Work affecting more than two of more circuits
b) Work that involves the installation of a new circuit
c) Work in kitchens, bathrooms, shower rooms or in the garden
Part ‘P’ Approved Contractors are able to inspect, test and certify electrical work to ensure compliance with the Building Regulations and will also notify the Building Inspector. You will then receive a certificate from the contractor’s professional organisation (ELECSA, NICEIC, NAPIT or BSI).

More details can be found on the government website

CALL NOW for a no obligation chat
Mobile: 07955 232006 or Office: 01279 210764

Cookies in Use